Translate

Thursday, May 10, 2012

R.I.P., Tony DeZuniga

Yet another comic book legend dies. I was first exposed to Dezuniga's bold inking over John Buscema's pencils in the black and white Savage Sword of Conan magazines published during the 1970's and the early 1980's. My very first Savage Sword issue was #56- the adaptation of Robert E Howard's SWORD OF SKELOS. From then on, I was HOOKED. I could not get enough of this black and white comic magazine! His inks over Buscema spurred me to collect Savage Sword on a regular basis and opened up a world of possibilities not found in regular 4 color comics.
Honestly, I wished the black and white, ink wash and zip a tone ride could have gone on forever, but it seems that only lasted as long as there were original Conan stories to be adapted. As those ran out, so did the sales, I guess. Thank you for helping to open my eyes to that Hyborian age magic, Great One. You are missed and adored.
Here is mark Evanier's article on Mr. DeZuniga's passing today. http://www.newsfromme.com/2012/05/10/tony-dezuniga-r-i-p/

No comments:

Post a Comment